Monday, July 23, 2012

Painting a Chair.. :)

You may think this sounds a bit odd, but it is really fun and enjoyable.. Start off with any wooden chair of your choice:


And then sand it using sand paper. The paint will stay on longer and look better if the chair is sanded. If it isn't, then you will have to apply more coats of paint and the layers will be uneven. :(
Once you sand it wipe it off with a wet paper towel and wait for it to dry......

WHILE YOUR WAITING...

While you are waiting for your chair to do, go ahead and start to sketch out ideas on paper... I really like water and beaches, so I decided to do that on the seat of my chair and then have a palm tree going up onto the back of the chair. Later I added flowers :)

After you have decided what you are going to do, get the colors that you need in acrylic paint. Make sure you have a lot, because you will need a lot!!!

Things to think about:
What is my background color?
Do I have a backup plan if no colors match what I need?
What is my palette going to be?
(You can use foil to hold your paint, especially if you are mixing a color because you can just fold it up REALLY tight and then it stays wet for another hard day's work).


Once your chair is dry draw your design on it. Then, paint your background color all over the chair, leaving the design alone...

Then PAINT PAINT  PAINT  PAINT  PAINT  PAINT  PAINT  PAINT  PAINT  PAINT!!!!!!!!!

And then you're done :)

You can do this on any wooden item.. I did it to a desk organizer, a footstool, a chair, and a step-stool..


Don't forget to Comment, Rate, and Subscribe!!

Why not show us a picture of your finished chair??

2 comments:



  1. THis is my chair! It's red

    ReplyDelete
  2. [img30493:/bettencourt/jpg.html30]

    sorry, it isn't showing up! this is my chair, it's red

    ReplyDelete